I do this style for the sole purpose of doing a flat twist-out the next day.
Requirement: Hair must be properly washed and conditioned/deep conditioned and then moisturized prior to flat twisting.
What you need: Comb to part hair, hair moisturizer(s), braid/twist gel (optional).
Good for: All types of hair.
- Comb and section off your hair in the way you want your flat twists to go. If you are doing 1-layer cornrows, part hair from your hairline down to the nape of your neck.
- Section off enough for your 1st twist. If you're doing 2-layer flat twists, it may help to separate the 2 layers by cutting a line through your hair from ear to ear and tie down the layer you're not working with. Make each part as thin or as wide as you want your flat twists to be.
- Of the part that you are starting with, cut out two pieces of hair closest to your hairline, piece 1, piece 2, and hold in your left and right hands.
To Start your Flat Twist (first movement):
- RightHand (1)- Took piece2 and pulled it counterclockwise over piece 1; piece 2 should be turning itself clockwise when doing this. Use a free finger to grab piece 1.
- LeftHand (2)- Grabbed piece 2.
To Continue (for all other movements):
- RightHand (1)- While holding piece 1 in hand, cut out a new piece to add to it to piece 1. Again, pull piece 1 counterclockwise over piece 2 tightly to stay close to scalp; new piece 1 should be turning itself clockwise when doing this. Use a free finger to grab piece 2.
- LeftHand (2)- Grabbed piece 1.
To finish (to end your flat twist):
Twist the ends of the flat twists with your fingers to close the ends off.